Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner-PGC
Online Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Post Graduate Certificate
Gain the knowledge and decision-making skills you need to increase adult health promotion and disease prevention in your community with the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Post Graduate Certificate program at South University.
The Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner PGC program will help you to develop and practice core competencies, while focusing on community-based care and emphasizing at-risk and vulnerable populations. The Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner PGC program’s online curriculum is designed for nurses who already hold a master’s degree that prepared them to practice in another advanced nursing role. This 32-credit Adult- Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner PGC program can be completed in as little as 13 months.
Procedure for Admission to the Post Graduate Certificate Programs**
** South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Consistent with the requirement for admission to the MSN program, the requirements for admission to the Post Graduate Certificate programs are as follows:
- Completion of the application for admission.
- An official transcript documenting the award of a master's degree in nursing from an accredited nursing program with a GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Submission of official transcripts from every college or university attended within 10 weeks after the initial start date.
- A valid and unencumbered license as a registered nurse in all US states or territory in which the student is licensed, including the state in which the student completes all assignments for the program. (Note that military, federal, and foreign educated nurses must meet this state requirement for nursing licensure). Note: An unencumbered license(s) must be maintained throughout the program.
- Submission of the following:
- Three references using the Nursing Graduate School Appraisal Form. At least one of your references should hold a master's degree in Nursing.
- A resume describing relevant work, professional, and volunteer experiences.
Once all required admissions documents and information are submitted, the application will be reviewed and evaluated for an admission decision.
Additional Admission Requirements for Post-Graduate Certificate Family Nurse Practitioner or Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Programs**
Applicants are required to show evidence of the following:
- Master of Science in Nursing degree or higher from a CCNE/ACEN (formerly NLNAC) or CNEA nursing program
- The accredited MSN program includes separate courses in advanced pathophysiology, advanced health assessment and advanced pharmacology. Note: Applicants, whose MSN program, did not require these courses must take them as part of the PGC program of study.
- Applicants with previous Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) specialization must show evidence of:
- Unencumbered licensure to practice as an APRN
- National certification as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
- Admitted applicants may not substitute previous specialty didactic and clinical coursework for the new specialization.
- Admitted applicants will be required to complete all the specialty didactic and clinical experiences in the new specialization program.
*If the student receives a failing grade in NSG6021, the student must enroll in and successfully pass the following four (4)-credit course: NSG6023 Nurse Practitioner Enhancement.
South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information
Upon earning your Post Graduate Certificate in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, you should be able to:
- Integrate specialty standards of advanced practice nursing to deliver culturally competent, quality health care services to individuals, populations, and systems.
- Exercise effective leadership, critical thinking, and communication skills in the development and implementation of advanced nursing practice services in Primary Care.
- Integrate professional nursing standards, values, and accountability into role and self-development as an advanced practice nurse.
- Utilize information technology and an evidence-based research approach to develop nursing knowledge and design healthcare services for clients, populations, and systems.
- Ensure advanced levels of clinical judgment, systems thinking, and accountability in the implementation and evaluation of evidenced based care to diverse individuals and populations.
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
Read more about online requirements here.
Learn More About the South University Program That's Right For You.
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our nursing alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our graduates have to say.