Everyone feels a certain amount of stress as the holidays approach. As a student, you’re likely to feel it even more. Balancing family time with studies may seem like an impossible task, but there are some things you can do that will help you enjoy the holiday season.
Here are six tips to help you stay on track and feel less stressed during the holidays:
- Plan out your schedule. Choose a time (or times) each day when you know you won’t have too many distractions and get your studying for the day completed during that time frame. This can also help you to free up time during the day to enjoy unplanned activities. Also, don’t hesitate to give yourself some time off! Planning a full day off can help you to stay motivated.
- Keep yourself organized. If you are travelling during the holidays, you’ll want to keep your books, papers and notes organized and neat. You don’t want to waste valuable time searching for things. Stay organized and save time.
- Set your ground rules. Tell your family about the work you need to get done and let them know what you need. Keeping everyone informed about what is going on with your studies will give you enough space to accomplish everything you need to complete during the holidays.
- Get your family involved. If you have younger children around, have them “quiz” you on things you are learning--adults might like to help with this, too! Getting everyone involved not only helps you learn, but also helps your family be invested in your success.
- Take plenty of breaks. Even if you have to lock yourself away to complete an important project, you’ll want to take some time off to relax. This will help you not only to interact with your family, but can also make you more productive. Studies have shown taking breaks actually improves productivity.
- Set time aside to have some fun. Don’t forget that the holidays are about spending time with your loved ones. Even though you need to keep up with your studies, be sure to set enough time aside to enjoy all of the activities that go along with the holidays. Allow yourself the time off without any guilty feelings to have fun and enjoy spending this time with your family and loved ones.
The holidays give everyone a certain amount of stress. By planning ahead, you can avoid many of the headaches that go along with balancing your studies with family time.