Although we use them every day, it's not uncommon for us to neglect PC maintenance. We depend on computers to help us communicate and to go to school and work, so it is essential to take good care of them. Here are some tips that will help keep your system running smoothly and possibly lengthen its life.
Please note that if you do not feel comfortable completing any of the steps listed, contact a local computer professional for assistance.
- Delete your cache and cookies.
- Clear your Brower history.
- Delete your Temporary Internet Files.
- Empty your Recycle bin.
- Back up your files using a USB thumb drive or external hard drive.
- Update your virus definitions.
- Run a full virus scan.
- Run a disk scan to check for hard drive issues.
- Run a defragmentation program.
- Run a clean up to delete unneeded files.
- Check for system updates.
- Clean your keyboard.
- Clean your monitor.
- Clear the outside of your computer in case of dust.
- Clean your peripherals
- Clean up your desktop of all unneeded icons and files.
- Renew your software update and anti virus subscriptions.