Looking for study materials for the NP certification exams*? You’ll have lots to choose from, so look for materials or classes that fit your learning style and budget. Some resources focus specifically on AANP or ANCC exams, while others cover both. Many even have various types of passing guarantees.
Whatever you choose, we suggest taking the test within a few months of finishing your NP program and following a regular study schedule in the months before the exam. Below are some of our favorites options to help you prepare!
APEA (Advanced Practice Education Associates)
- Predictor exams:Take exams that can help to reveal your strengths and weaknesses and show you a rationale for all missed questions. These exams include 150 multiple-choice questions and are randomly generated from over 1,000 possible questions.
- MyQBank: Access 3800+ NP practice questions across the areas of Assessment, Pharmacology, and Management.
- Books: Purchase various resources and study guides, including bundled kits.
- Online courses: Watch video of live courses and multimedia presentations, presented in 20-minute segments. Practice questions and evaluations are also included.
- Live review: In addition to live instruction, each NP review course provides a 280-page manual, two sets of 100 practice questions, and supplemental online learning.
(Select APEA content is available at no charge to South University FNP and AGPCNP students, with access to video content continuing after graduation).
- Books: Including hundreds of practice questions, Leik’s review books synthesize the complex knowledge needed for your exam into a concise, well-organized format, helping you to study more efficiently.
- Live review courses online or in-person: Courses cover key content as well as test-taking techniques like pneumonic devices for both exams. They also can help to refine your critical thinking and clinical decision-making skills. Each course includes a textbook and sample exams.
Barkley & Associates
- Live courses:Review important topics plus test-taking and study strategies. Courses include online videos, a course manual, and a diagnostic readiness test.
- Home study: Receive the course manual, a 100-item diagnostic readiness test, and the complete audio CD recordings from a live review course.
- Practice exams: See a rationale for each of the 100 questions, learning why one answer is correct and the others are incorrect. The score report will identify areas for improvement, and a 45-minute review session will immediately follow the exam.
Fitzgerald Health Education Associates, Inc.
- Books: Find NP Certification review books for all tracks and exams, with questions, quick-look tables, and essential information needed to succeed in the NP boards and practice.
- NP certification prep tests: Take online tests that provide detailed rationales for every question and that help to identify knowledge gaps.
- Online or in-person NP review courses: All courses include a practice exam, printed reference/workbook with hundreds of clinical high-resolution color images, and extensive online resources. The live event is a 2-day seminar, while the online option is an on-demand video presentation course, with webinar Q&A sessions.
- Practice Exams: ExamEdge offers realistic online tests that simulate either the AANP or ANCC NP certification exam in look, navigation, number of questions, and content type. The practice exam’s default time limit also matches the actual exam.
With ExamEdge, you can pause and later resume a test in the same place, with the same amount of time remaining. In addition to timed testing, you can take practice tests with no time limit or run them in explanation mode, where you study by checking the answers to each question as you go. Exam results will include a prediction of your score on the real exam as well as explanations for each question. You will have permanent access to that review page and those explanations. Tests can be accessed on any device and are available in various bundles and at prices as low as $20.
- Question Bank: Gain access to 1400+ practice questions with explanations for both correct and incorrect responses. The question banks for ANCC and AANP are each aligned to their exam’s content outline. You can use the timed test option to simulate the real test, customize practice tests by subject, and get progress analytics and reports. Start with a free trial of select questions and then pay based on how long you’re using the question bank.
- App: Available on IOS and Android phones and from any web browser, FNP Mastery features 880+ practice questions, quizzes, must-know terminology, mnemonics, study strategies, and exam tips. Easily track your progress and tag questions that you want to revisit. The content is available by subscription with the option for a 14-day free trial.
AGNP: Adult-Gero Exam Prep
On iTunes | On Google Play
- App: This mobile app includes 680+ exam-style practice questions with rationales, detailed exam information, and review content from Maria Leik’s exam prep book. Study by topic or build your own quizzes. You can explore limited content at no cost before purchasing the full version.
South University offers a complimentary Nursing Licensure Review Course to our nurse practitioner program graduates who have started an exam application and are looking for additional study material. The course includes iHuman Case Studies, the APEA MyQBank questions, and access to an instructor. Contact your Career Services Advisor for details.
Want to know what happens after taking your nursing boards?
Stay tuned for the final post in our NP Certification Boards blog series!
*South University does not guarantee third-party certification/licensure. Outside agencies control the requirements for taking and passing certification/licensing exams and are subject to change without notice to South University.