RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree Completion
The RN to Bachelor of Science degree completion program at South University, High Point Off-Campus Instructional Site is designed to enhance the professional knowledge and employment scope for the licensed registered nurse. Concepts of nursing research and community health are key components of the curriculum. These educational experiences are designed to prepare professional nurses for practice today and well into the future.
Potential students must be comfortable with technology, self-motivated, able to solve problems independently, have good organizational skills, good writing skills, and are prepared to invest time to their studies in both the on ground and online nursing programs. Forty-five credit hours of nursing credit will be accepted toward the BSN degree based upon graduation from an accredited school of nursing
For those who are not registered nurses, South University’s Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program will start you on the path to a rewarding nursing career.
** South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
The criteria used to determine admission to the RN to BSN degree program include:
- Completion of the application for admission.
- An associate's degree in nursing from an accredited collegiate institution, or a diploma in nursing from an accredited institution
- A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Provisional admission may be granted for an overall GPA of 2.0 to 2.49 on a 4.0 scale. Final admission requires the completion of the first four courses with a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in those four courses. Failure to meet requirements of provisional admission will result in rescinding the provisional admission status. There is no appeal for rescinding provisional status.
- Submission of official transcripts from every college or university attended within 10 weeks after the initial start date.
- A valid and unencumbered license as a registered nurse in all US states or territory in which the student is licensed, including the state in which the student completes all assignments for the program. (Note that military, federal, and foreign educated nurses must meet this state requirement for nursing licensure). Note: An unencumbered license(s) must be maintained throughout the program.
- All general education prerequisites must be completed before the student takes any professional nursing courses beyond the 3000 level.
Graduates of South University's Bachelor of Science in Nursing program are prepared to seek employment in
- Private physician and counseling practices
- Nursing facilities
- Community clinics and agencies
- Research organizations
A transcript evaluation is completed for each student to transfer in up to 90 general education credits. For students to receive block transfer credit for General Education courses, they must meet the standard outlined in the General Education Transfer Credit policy.
(must be taken concurrently with BIO1012 Anatomy and Physiology I Lab)
(must be taken concurrently with BIO1014 Anatomy and Physiology II Lab)
(must be taken concurrently with BIO2071 or BIO2073)
(required for BSN; RN to BSN students ONLY can take either)
South University, Online Program Offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Offered at South University, Austin; South University, Columbia; South University, High Point Off-Campus Instructional Site; South University, Montgomery; South University, Online Programs; South University, Richmond; South University, Savannah; South University, Tampa; South University, Orlando Off-Campus Instructional Site; South University, Virginia Beach; and South University, West Palm Beach.
The RN to BSN degree program at South University is designed to enhance the professional knowledge and employment scope for the licensed registered nurse. Concepts of nursing research and community health are key components of the curriculum. These educational experiences are designed to prepare professional nurses for practice today and well into the future. Graduates of the RN to BSN degree completion program meet the same program student learning outcomes whether in the campus-based BSN degree program or the online RN to BSN degree program.
Potential students must be comfortable with technology, selfmotivated, able to solve problems independently, have good organizational skills, good writing skills, and are prepared to invest time to their studies in both the campus-based and online nursing programs. Forty-five credit hours of nursing credit will be accepted toward the BSN degree based upon graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating from the RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program will have demonstrated their acquisition of competencies and proficiencies related to the following:
- Synthesize knowledge from nursing, the physical and social sciences, arts, and humanities in the practice of professional nursing practice.
- Apply critical thinking skills in establishing priorities, delegating responsibility, formulating decisions, and maintaining accountability in the practice of professional nursing through the application of nursing standards.
- Integrate care and concern for humanity, with scholarly research and systematic inquiry to deliver evidenced based, comprehensive, and holistic nursing care which promotes health and quality of life.
- Utilize informatics and technology to adapt to the challenges of nursing practice of today and the future.
- Demonstrate professionalism by advocating for legal, ethical, financial and political issues involving health care.
- Communicate effectively and collaboratively within nursing and other healthcare disciplines to empower patients experiencing health challenges through education and promotion of health and well-being.
- Utilize the nursing process to collaborate with consumers and other health professionals to initiate improvements in healthcare and promote health and well-being in persons, families and communities.
- Demonstrate a self-awareness of and commitment to excellence in nursing practice through the pursuit of community, educational, and organizational opportunities to enhance personal and professional growth.
- Provide holistic caring to diverse patient populations, across the lifespan in a variety of settings with technical proficiency that integrates foundational, discipline-specific and interdisciplinary knowledge essential for professional practice.
Join South University in Celebrating the Class of 2021
This Saturday, June 19, at 12:00 PM ET, South University celebrates the Class of 2021 and Class of 2020 with a live virtual graduation event! Join us as we celebrate this milestone in our graduates’ lives.
June 16, 2021Read More
10 Tips to Help You Transition from the Military to College
South University is proud to support veterans in their pursuit of higher education! Follow these helpful tips to ease your the transition from military service to college today.
May 28, 2021Read More
Virginia Beach Students Gain Experience in the Field While Serving their Community
At each of our campus locations, South University is proud to give back to our local communities! Discover how South University, Virginia Beach students serve their community by partnering with Promethean Group.
May 12, 2021Read More
South University Welcomes Dr. Jacoba “Kobie” Leiper to the High Point Off-Campus Instructional Site
South University would like to welcome Dr. Jacoba “Kobie” Leiper to the High Point Off-Campus Instructional Site as Program Director of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
February 25, 2021Read More
South University, Tampa Nurses Help Administer the COVID-19 Vaccine Locally
South University is proud to support local Tampa Bay residents by working with Advent Health to help administer the COVID-19 vaccine locally through help from our staff and nursing students to 700 pre-registered Florida residents.
February 19, 2021Read More
South University Austin's Nurses Help Administer the COVID-19 Vaccine to Local Residents
South University is proud to serve the Austin-Round Rock (or Central Texas) area with our staff and nursing students helping to support the administration of the first 3,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines locally.
January 21, 2021Read More
Fill out the form and a representative will contact you today to better understand your academic goals plus answer any questions you may have.
Campuses offer flexible learning formats including:
on-campus, virtual instructions and online courses.
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our nursing alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our nursing graduates have to say.
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing, the Master of Science in Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice, and Post-Graduate APRN Certificate Programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).