Human Resources Management
Master of Science in Human Resources Management
The role of Human Resources has evolved. As many people working in the field know, strategic Human Resources Management (HRM) is not just about hiring and firing, it’s about applying the principles of leadership to help companies grow and succeed. South University’s Masters of Science in Human Resources Management (HRM) online degree program explores the many roles successful HR Management professionals must master, including key topics such as; employment and labor laws, generally accepted business and ethical principles, HR planning and measurement, and consultative approaches to change management
If you’re interested in pursuing a Master’s in Human Resources Management, South University’s online program is designed for working professionals. The 48-credit program consists of 12 comprehensive courses that are available online and can be completed in as little as 12 months*. This graduate-level degree program is open to students who have earned a Bachelor’s degree in any field of study.
Admissions Criteria for the Master of Science in Human Resources Management (MSHRM) are as follows:
Prospective students are required to submit the following:
- Application form
- Official transcripts for bachelor or graduate degree granting institution. (All credentials earned outside the United States must be evaluated by a NACES or AICE-member credential evaluation service). Please speak with an admissions representative for more information.
Specific requirements for admission to classified graduate status are:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Completion of application for admission.
- A 2.7 overall grade point average or higher on completed requirements for the baccalaureate degree, or, an earned graduate degree from an accredited institution with a CGPA of 3.0 or higher.
Applicants with an undergraduate degree CGPA of less than a 2.7, but not lower than a 2.3, or a graduate degree CGPA of less than 3.0, but not lower than a 2.7, will be considered for provisional admission. Students who do not attain a 3.0 GPA in the first quarter will be dismissed. Students cannot appeal the dismissal from the university as a result of failure to meet the conditions of provisional admission.
Elective (Choose one course from the following):
South University, Online Program Offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Offered at South University, Austin; South University, Online Programs; and South University, Tampa.
The Masters of Science in Human Resource Management (HRM) degree program explores the multiple roles of HR practitioners, as well as the concepts, strategies and structures that impact and constraint organizations and its stakeholders. The graduate program examines the functional areas of HRM, employment and labor laws, generally accepted business practices, ethical principles, HR metrics and measurement and change management using consultative approaches through effective organizational leadership. Emphasis is placed on managing human capital and applying best-practice tools to meet organizational mission, goals and objectives. The program is identified as being aligned with the Society for Human Resource Management recommended minimum standards for degree-based coursework in human resources and integrates the Human Resources Competency Model components.
The Master of Science in Human Resources Management program is delivered in two modalities: fully online and blended. Students enrolled in the blended modality meet face-to-face in the classroom and asynchronously online on alternating weeks over the 11-week quarter.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates will be able to:
- Evaluate strategic HRM practices and procedures in a systematic manner, including employee and labor relations, workplace safety, health and security, and global programs in terms of human and financial impact (direct and indirect) on the organization and in consideration of the local, national and global environment.
- Apply ethical principles, generally accepted business practices, and employment and labor laws with stakeholders in the decision- making process about HR policies, practices, or initiatives.
- Demonstrate the contribution of human resource planning, management and diversity initiatives to organizational stakeholders using generally accepted HR metrics and measurements.
- Define staffing (recruitment and selection), training and development, retention and performance management concepts, processes and policies as part of an integrated whole, and not as an isolated functional area of HRM to develop programs that meet broader organizational needs and enable the organization to maintain a competitive advantage.
- Develop classification, compensation, and benefits both direct and indirect that meet the strategies and constraints of the organization and its environments.
- Analyze organizational development and change management principles using consultative approaches to realize the Human Resources vision through effective organizational leadership.
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
Read more about online requirements here.
Join South University in Celebrating the Class of 2021
This Saturday, June 19, at 12:00 PM ET, South University celebrates the Class of 2021 and Class of 2020 with a live virtual graduation event! Join us as we celebrate this milestone in our graduates’ lives.
June 16, 2021Read More
South University’s Online Programs Student Ambassadors: A Year In Review
Qualified students in South University’s online programs have the opportunity to become student ambassadors to support their peers and offer valuable insight to the university about the student experience. Check out what this year’s group have to say about their experience!
June 2, 2021Read More
10 Tips to Help You Transition from the Military to College
South University is proud to support veterans in their pursuit of higher education! Follow these helpful tips to ease your the transition from military service to college today.
May 28, 2021Read More
South University, Tampa Nurses Help Administer the COVID-19 Vaccine Locally
South University is proud to support local Tampa Bay residents by working with Advent Health to help administer the COVID-19 vaccine locally through help from our staff and nursing students to 700 pre-registered Florida residents.
February 19, 2021Read More
South University Austin's Nurses Help Administer the COVID-19 Vaccine to Local Residents
South University is proud to serve the Austin-Round Rock (or Central Texas) area with our staff and nursing students helping to support the administration of the first 3,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines locally.
January 21, 2021Read More
Chancellor Steven K. Yoho - Named One of the 10 Most Visionary Education Leaders of 2020 by The Education Magazine
South University’s Chancellor Dr. Steven K. Yoho has been named among the 10 Most Visionary Educational Leaders of 2020 by The Education Magazine.
January 12, 2021Read More
Fill out the form and a representative will contact you today to better understand your academic goals plus answer any questions you may have.
Campuses offer flexible learning formats including:
on-campus, virtual instructions and online courses.
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our business and technology alumni and the difference they make.