Master of Healthcare Administration
Admissions Criteria for the Master of Healthcare Administration are as follows:
Prospective students are required to submit the following:
- Application form
- Official transcripts for bachelor or graduate degree granting institution. (All credentials earned outside the United States must be evaluated by a NACES or AICE-member credential evaluation service). Please speak with an admissions representative for more information.
Specific requirements for admission to classified graduate status are:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Completion of application for admission.
- A 2.7 overall grade point average or higher on completed requirements for the baccalaureate degree, or, an earned graduate degree from an accredited institution with a CGPA of 3.0 or higher.
Applicants with an undergraduate degree CGPA of less than a 2.7, but not lower than a 2.3, or a graduate degree CGPA of less than 3.0, but not lower than a 2.7, will be considered for provisional admission. Students who do not attain a 3.0 GPA in the first quarter will be dismissed. Students cannot appeal the dismissal from the university as a result of failure to meet the conditions of provisional admission.
South University, Online Program Offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Offered at South University, Online Programs; South University, Austin; South University, Savannah; and South University, West Palm Beach
The Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) degree program at South University is designed to prepare students from a variety of backgrounds to seek employment in healthcare management and leadership upon graduation. The 12-course (48 credits) program is founded with the philosophy that healthcare leaders require strong competencies in both healthcare and management to be successful. Specifically competencies are addressed in contemporary healthcare management and leadership strategies, present healthcare systems and organizations, policy evaluation and planning techniques, financial management, and business operations. The curriculum is designed to provide students with a sound foundation in solving the problems of today's health systems, a greater understanding of management issues and to prepare them to seek employment in middle and senior management roles in health administration of hospitals and other health services organizations, as well as the private and public health infrastructure.
The Master of Healthcare Administration program is delivered in two modalities: fully online and blended. Students enrolled in the blended modality meet face-to-face in the classroom and asynchronously online on alternating weeks over the 11-week quarter.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates will be able to:
- Interpret the knowledge in healthcare management principles and content specific to finance, economics, strategy, human resources, information management, and ethics.
- Evaluate the impact of healthcare policy and law on the delivery and services provided by the industry
- Integrate market research with strategic planning in healthcare, evaluating a wide array of business processes and tools in healthcare operations management.
- Assess managerial and leadership challenges in healthcare
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate and present information that is concise, clear, organized, supported, and persuasive in a professional manner appropriate to the healthcare industry.
The Healthcare Administration graduate program can prepare you for a management career in which you are planning, directing, and coordinating medical and health services. Healthcare administrators may work in a range of facilities, including:
- Federal, state, and county health programs
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Healthcare companies
- Medical laboratories
- Medical billing companies
- Health education and training companies
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
Read more about online requirements here.
Latest News and Blogs
Sep 24, 2021
Alumni Spotlight: Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
After earning his degree, Marcus excelled as a PTA and grew his career to include management responsibilities. Hear the advice he offers fellow alumni and current students to help them achieve their goals.
Aug 13, 2021
Alumni Spotlight: Master of Public Health --Dedra Simmons
Learn how South University helped prepare three-time graduate Dedra Simmons to strengthen healthcare facilities and organizations while promoting and protecting health equity for all.
Aug 04, 2021
Alumni Spotlight: Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
See how Eninja Jackson has used her Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management to improve patient care, better her community, and grow her career.
Jul 23, 2021
Public Health Student Participates in Nationally Funded Research
Deangelo Mahone- Public Health Student
Jul 16, 2021
Alumni Achievement Award- Emily Davis (DNP, RN, CNE)
“South University changed the trajectory of my future,” says 2018 graduate Dr. Emily Davis (DNP, RN, CNE).
Fill out the form and a representative will contact you today to better understand your academic goals plus answer any questions you may have.
Campuses offer flexible learning formats including:
on-campus, virtual instructions and online courses.
We're committed to helping our graduates make an impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our healthcare graduates have to say.