RN to Master of Science in Nursing in Nurse Administrator
While earning a master’s with a Specialization in Nurse Administrator, you can develop knowledge and skills needed for designing healthcare systems, making policy and financial decisions, promoting patient safety and quality care, and incorporating contemporary technology, practice, and ethics into healthcare.
Procedure for Admission to the RN to Master of Science in Nursing** Degree Program
** South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
The criteria used in determining admission to the Master of Science in Nursing degree program include:
- Completion of the application for admission.
- An associate's degree in nursing from an accredited collegiate institution, or a diploma in nursing from an accredited institution, with a minimum cumulative CGPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Submission of official transcripts from every college or university attended within 10 weeks after the initial start date).
- A valid unencumbered single-state and/or a valid unencumbered Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact (eNLC) multistate license as a registered nurse in all U.S. states or territories in which the student is licensed, including the state in which the student completes all assignments for the program is required. (Note that military, federal, and foreign educated nurses must meet this state requirement for nursing licensure). An unencumbered license(s) must be maintained throughout the program.
- Meet the Core Performance Standards and essential function related to the profession of nursing as described in this catalog
- Submission of the following:
- Three references using the Nursing Graduate School Appraisal Form. At least one of your references should hold a master's in Nursing or higher degree in nursing.
- An essay (goal statement) of 1-2 pages (typed, double-spaced) explaining your career goals, reasons for your choice of specialization, and why you want to pursue an advanced degree in nursing.
- A resume describing relevant work, professional, and volunteer experiences.
- Once all required admissions documents and information are submitted, the application will be reviewed and evaluated for admission decision.
Provisional admission status is not available for the RN to Master of Science in Nursing degree program. Students not meeting admission requirements for the RN to Master of Science in Nursing program may be considered for the RN to BSN degree program and apply to the MSN degree program when the admission requirements for the MSN degree program are met.
RN to Master of Science in Nursing
Specialization in Nurse Administrator: 28 Credits for Specialization, 219 Total Credits for Program
Upon completing this particular online Master’s with a Specialization in Nurse Administrator program, you should be prepared to:
- Apply concepts and theories of organizational management and nursing administration to the design of complex healthcare delivery systems.
- Incorporate technology, contemporary practice, ethics, and professional standards into the ongoing delivery of healthcare.
- Integrate concepts of health policy, regulation, and financing to the organization of healthcare delivery, with a focus on parsimonious and responsible use of resources.
- Lead efforts in designing innovative patient safety and quality improvement efforts and effective evaluation of nursing outcome measures.
- Employ evidence-based practice in the care of patients with chronic and/or acute illnesses across the lifespan, or in structuring nursing interventions to promote health.
- Facilitate the professional development and socialization of diverse nurse populations.
- Function as change agents and leaders in healthcare settings domestically and abroad.
- Contribute to the development of the science of nursing by engaging in scholarly activities and by promoting the translation of nursing science into patient care outcomes.
Career OutlookThis online MSN with a Specialization in Nurse Administrator program is ideal for RNs who wish to pursue leadership roles such as a Director of Nursing, or Nurse Manager.
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
Read more about online requirements here.
Learn More About the South University Program That's Right For You.
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our nursing alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our graduates have to say.