Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
Almost all businesses rely on information systems to be successful and efficient. This field requires specialists who can keep up with the continually changing landscape of the digital world, and that’s what South University delivers. Our Bachelor of Science degree at South University Virginia Beach provides you with the foundation for understanding the function and process of computer programming, database design, network design, information security, and software engineering. Case studies and relevant projects further prepare students for the technology-dependent workplace. And we offer specializations in Database Development and Administration, Information Systems Security, Network Administration and Management, and Multimedia and Web Development so you can focus your learning and get the most out of your education.
Prepare for Your Information Technology Career
Transfer students may transfer any course to help fulfill the elective pool requirements, provided the course meets the standards of the Credit for Transcripted and Non-transcripted Work policy found in the Academic Affairs section of this catalog.
Non-transfer students, with their advisor's consultation and approval may choose courses from any department recommended and listed course or more broadly from any course offered by South University. Work from other fields must include any required prerequisite courses in the elective field.
A course can be used to meet only one requirement in Area I, Area II, or Area III, but not simultaneously in two areas. Students should work with their academic advisor or counselor to be sure they are making appropriate course choices.
South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Admission RequirementsPlease see the South University academic catalog for program specific admissions requirements.
Graduates will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the discipline. This includes computations in binary, prediction of software run-time, and the ability to follow programming logic through complex calculations.
- Use quantitative analysis and critical thinking skills to analyze and solve technology problems.
- Design, implement and evaluate a computer-based system, process, component, or program to meet desired needs.
- Function effectively on teams to accomplish a common goal.
- Display an understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security, and social issues and responsibilities in relation to the use and deployment of technology.
- Analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations and society.
- Recognize the need for, and display an ability to engage in, continuing professional development to stay current with technology innovations and advancements either through graduate study or progression in a chosen career path.
- Use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for computing practices.
- Use and apply current technical concepts and practices in the core information technologies. This includes the areas of networking, database design and development, Web-based applications, human-computer interface, computer security, and software design and development.
Identify and analyze user needs and take them into account in the selection, creation, evaluation and administration of computer-based systems.
- Effectively integrate IT-based solutions into the user environment.
- Present best practices and standards in computing and information technology and their application.
- Assist in the creation of an effective project plan. This includes a thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle (SDLC) and the application of technology resources to the solution of business problems.
Graduates of the BS in Information Technology program are prepared for entry-level positions such as:
- Network and Systems Administrators
- Network Managers
- Database Administrators/Network Engineers
- IT Administrators/Export Managers
- Global Technical Supervisors
- Information Security Administrators
- IT Managers
- LAN Security Specialists
- Operations Managers
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our business and technology alumni and the difference they make.