Bachelor of Science in Public Health
The Bachelor of Science in Public Health degree program at South University Tampa is designed to provide students with the knowledge and practical skills required of a public health professional and advocate for population health. The curriculum provides a broad general education, strong foundation in the human health and disease sciences, and core areas of public health. The curriculum aligns with the competencies expected of a public health practitioner by providing courses in health communication, health disparities, legal and ethical issues, management of public health systems, and policy and research. Students develop the ability to apply core concepts to assess the health needs of diverse populations at the local, national and international levels, plan and evaluate programs, and communicate and advocate health promotion.
Procedure for Admission to the Master of Public Health
The criteria used in determining admissions to the Master of Public Health degree program include:
- Completion of a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 2.7 (on a scale of 4.0) OR
- An earned graduate degree from an accredited institution with a CGPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Submission of official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended within 10 weeks after the official start date.
- Provisional Admissions: A cumulative GPA of 2.5 -2.69. Students must receive a final course grade of B or better in all public health courses for the first two terms/quarters to be fully admitted into the MPH program.
- Provisionally admitted students are permitted one attempt per course for the first two terms/quarters. Students who do not receive a final course grade of B or better in all public health courses will have the provisional admission rescinded. There is no appeal for rescinding provisional status.
Once all required admissions documents and information are submitted, the application will be reviewed and evaluated by the MPH Program Director for final admission decision.
Career OutlookGraduates are prepared to contribute to delivery of the essential services of public health in health agencies at the government or community-based level and in the private sector, continue to learn throughout their professional careers, and to pursue graduate study in public health and the health sciences.
South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Offered at South University, Atlanta Off-Campus Instructional Site; South University, Online Programs; South University, Savannah; and South University, Virginia Beach.
The Master of Public Health (MPH) degree program at South University is a 56-credit program designed to educate students and working professionals about areas of critical importance to local, national, and international public health challenges. The MPH program is organized around a curriculum which consists of core competencies, principal courses, and a practicum experience. The core courses cover the five main areas of public health competencies. The principal courses are designed to cover a broad range of topics to help develop each student's knowledge, skills, and abilities in public health practice and to further develop the skillsets of working professionals in the public health field. Lastly the students take part in a practicum experience that synthesizes information learned throughout the program and as such should be taken as the last course in the program.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates should be able to:
- Utilize core public health concepts in the areas of biostatistics, epidemiology, social and behavioral sciences, health services administration, and environmental health.
- Assess the public health conditions, including assets and deficiencies, of populations.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, implement, and evaluate programs and services designed to address public health conditions.
- Employ an "ecological approach" to public health, with emphasis on the linkages and relationships among the multiple determinants of health to assure conditions that protect and promote the health of populations.
- Analyze health disparities to design appropriate and culturally competent prevention and intervention strategies.
- Apply theoretical knowledge in field-based settings that incorporates the eight competency domains for public health professionals:
- Demonstrate skills in public health research and communication.
- Apply critical thinking skills within the context of public health policy, practice, and research.
Latest News and Blogs
Aug 13, 2021
Alumni Spotlight: Master of Public Health --Dedra Simmons
Learn how South University helped prepare three-time graduate Dedra Simmons to strengthen healthcare facilities and organizations while promoting and protecting health equity for all.
Jul 23, 2021
Public Health Student Participates in Nationally Funded Research
Deangelo Mahone- Public Health Student
Jun 16, 2021
Join South University in Celebrating the Class of 2021
This Saturday, June 19, at 12:00 PM ET, South University celebrates the Class of 2021 and Class of 2020 with a live virtual graduation event! Join us as we celebrate this milestone in our graduates’ lives.
Jun 02, 2021
South University’s Online Programs Student Ambassadors: A Year In Review
Qualified students in South University’s online programs have the opportunity to become student ambassadors to support their peers and offer valuable insight to the university about the student experience. Check out what this year’s group have to say about their experience!
May 28, 2021
10 Tips to Help You Transition from the Military to College
South University is proud to support veterans in their pursuit of higher education! Follow these helpful tips to ease your the transition from military service to college today.
Fill out the form and a representative will contact you today to better understand your academic goals plus answer any questions you may have.
Campuses offer flexible learning formats including:
on-campus, virtual instructions and online courses.
Success! Your request was submitted. We'll be in touch soon!
In the meantime, you can view some of our FAQs
If you want to talk to an admissions representative ASAP, please contact us at 1-888-444-3404
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our nursing alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our graduates have to say.