Master of Public Health
Master of Public Health
As a graduate of the MPH degree program, you’ll be ready to pursue a variety of public health positions, including:
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Health Educators
- Community Health Workers
South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Offered at South University, Online Programs; South University, Savannah; and South University, Virginia Beach.
The Master of Public Health (MPH) degree program at South University is a 56-credit program designed to educate students and working professionals about areas of critical importance to local, national, and international public health challenges. The MPH program is organized around a curriculum which consists of core competencies, principal courses, and a practicum experience. The core courses cover the five main areas of public health competencies. The principal courses are designed to cover a broad range of topics to help develop each student's knowledge, skills, and abilities in public health practice and to further develop the skillsets of working professionals in the public health field. Lastly the students take part in a practicum experience that synthesizes information learned throughout the program and as such should be taken as the last course in the program.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates should be able to:
- Utilize core public health concepts in the areas of biostatistics, epidemiology, social and behavioral sciences, health services administration, and environmental health.
- Assess the public health conditions, including assets and deficiencies, of populations.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, implement, and evaluate programs and services designed to address public health conditions.
- Employ an "ecological approach" to public health, with emphasis on the linkages and relationships among the multiple determinants of health to assure conditions that protect and promote the health of populations.
- Analyze health disparities to design appropriate and culturally competent prevention and intervention strategies.
- Apply theoretical knowledge in field-based settings that incorporates the eight competency domains for public health professionals:
- Demonstrate skills in public health research and communication.
- Apply critical thinking skills within the context of public health policy, practice, and research.
Join South University in Celebrating the Class of 2021
This Saturday, June 19, at 12:00 PM ET, South University celebrates the Class of 2021 and Class of 2020 with a live virtual graduation event! Join us as we celebrate this milestone in our graduates’ lives.
June 16, 2021Read More
South University’s Online Programs Student Ambassadors: A Year In Review
Qualified students in South University’s online programs have the opportunity to become student ambassadors to support their peers and offer valuable insight to the university about the student experience. Check out what this year’s group have to say about their experience!
June 2, 2021Read More
10 Tips to Help You Transition from the Military to College
South University is proud to support veterans in their pursuit of higher education! Follow these helpful tips to ease your the transition from military service to college today.
May 28, 2021Read More
South University, Tampa Nurses Help Administer the COVID-19 Vaccine Locally
South University is proud to support local Tampa Bay residents by working with Advent Health to help administer the COVID-19 vaccine locally through help from our staff and nursing students to 700 pre-registered Florida residents.
February 19, 2021Read More
South University Austin's Nurses Help Administer the COVID-19 Vaccine to Local Residents
South University is proud to serve the Austin-Round Rock (or Central Texas) area with our staff and nursing students helping to support the administration of the first 3,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines locally.
January 21, 2021Read More
Chancellor Steven K. Yoho - Named One of the 10 Most Visionary Education Leaders of 2020 by The Education Magazine
South University’s Chancellor Dr. Steven K. Yoho has been named among the 10 Most Visionary Educational Leaders of 2020 by The Education Magazine.
January 12, 2021Read More
Fill out the form and a representative will contact you today to better understand your academic goals plus answer any questions you may have.
Campuses offer flexible learning formats including:
on-campus, virtual instructions and online courses.
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our nursing alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our graduates have to say.