Master of Healthcare Administration
Master of Healthcare Administration
Admissions Criteria for the Master of Healthcare Administration are as follows:
Prospective students are required to submit the following:
- Application form
- Official transcripts for bachelor or graduate degree granting institution. (All credentials earned outside the United States must be evaluated by a NACES or AICE-member credential evaluation service). Please speak with an admissions representative for more information.
Specific requirements for admission to classified graduate status are:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Completion of application for admission.
- A 2.7 overall grade point average or higher on completed requirements for the baccalaureate degree, or, an earned graduate degree from an accredited institution with a CGPA of 3.0 or higher.
Applicants with an undergraduate degree CGPA of less than a 2.7, but not lower than a 2.3, or a graduate degree CGPA of less than 3.0, but not lower than a 2.7, will be considered for provisional admission. Students who do not attain a 3.0 GPA in the first quarter will be dismissed. Students cannot appeal the dismissal from the university as a result of failure to meet the conditions of provisional admission.
Master of Healthcare Administration students have many avenues to consider upon graduation. Whether it’s a leadership role in a healthcare facility, or the manager of a wellness program, our students can finish the MHA program prepared to pursue whichever position they choose within the industry.
Within this industry, there is a demand for healthcare professionals. Job growth for Medical and Health Services Managers is projected to be 20% from 2016-2026, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Here are a few careers that our students consider:
- Clinical Director: Through creating effective policies and overseeing implementation as a manager, clinical directors improve the quality of healthcare offered to patients.
- Mental Health Program Manager: Also known as behavioral health program directors, these individuals help implement specific programs within public and private mental health facilities.
- Practice Administrator: The responsibility of a Practice Administrator is to oversee various elements within a medical facility. One of those tasks is ensuring departments are properly staffed
Offered at Austin, Online Programs, Savannah and West Palm Beach.
Note: Not all Online Program offerings are available to residents of all U.S. states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
The Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) degree program at South University is designed to prepare students from a variety of backgrounds to seek employment in healthcare management and leadership upon graduation. The 12-course (48 credits) program is founded with the philosophy that healthcare leaders require strong competencies in both healthcare and management to be successful. Specifically competencies are addressed in contemporary healthcare management and leadership strategies, present healthcare systems and organizations, policy evaluation and planning techniques, financial management, and business operations. The curriculum is designed to provide students with a sound foundation in solving the problems of today's health systems, a greater understanding of management issues and to prepare them to seek employment in middle and senior management roles in health administration of hospitals and other health services organizations, as well as the private and public health infrastructure.
The Master of Healthcare Administration program is delivered in two modalities: fully online and blended. Students enrolled in the blended modality meet face-to-face in the classroom and asynchronously online on alternating weeks over the 11-week quarter.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates will be able to:
- Interpret the knowledge in healthcare management principles and content specific to finance, economics, strategy, human resources, information management, and ethics.
- Evaluate the impact of healthcare policy and law on the delivery and services provided by the industry
- Integrate market research with strategic planning in healthcare, evaluating a wide array of business processes and tools in healthcare operations management.
- Assess managerial and leadership challenges in healthcare
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate and present information that is concise, clear, organized, supported, and persuasive in a professional manner appropriate to the healthcare industry.
Latest News and Blogs
Oct 15, 2021
Alumni Spotlight: Occupational Therapy Assistant Program
Find out how 2018 grad Kylie Moore uses her degree working as a Director of Rehabilitation and Certified and Licensed Occupational Therapist Assistant in a skilled nursing facility.
Sep 24, 2021
Alumni Spotlight: Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
After earning his degree, Marcus excelled as a PTA and grew his career to include management responsibilities. Hear the advice he offers fellow alumni and current students to help them achieve their goals.
Aug 13, 2021
Alumni Spotlight: Master of Public Health --Dedra Simmons
Learn how South University helped prepare three-time graduate Dedra Simmons to strengthen healthcare facilities and organizations while promoting and protecting health equity for all.
Aug 11, 2021
9 Fast Facts about the FAFSA
Did you know that over $120 billion in student financial aid is awarded annually? Learn more about federal financial aid and the FAFSA with these 9 fast facts.
Aug 04, 2021
Alumni Spotlight: Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
See how Eninja Jackson has used her Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management to improve patient care, better her community, and grow her career.
Jul 23, 2021
Public Health Student Participates in Nationally Funded Research
Deangelo Mahone- Public Health Student
Fill out the form and a representative will contact you today to better understand your academic goals plus answer any questions you may have.
Campuses offer flexible learning formats including:
on-campus, virtual instructions and online courses.
Success! Your request was submitted. We'll be in touch soon!
In the meantime, you can view some of our FAQs
If you want to talk to an admissions representative ASAP, please contact us at 1-888-444-3404
We're committed to helping our graduates make an impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our healthcare graduates have to say.