Skip To Content
Angie L Taylor

As Senior Pastor at South Carolina-based African Methodist Episcopal Church, Doctor Angia L. Taylor knows her decisions impact her congregation. In her role, it’s essential that she be strong and resilient while also thinking critically and making decisions with compassion. To best serve her congregation, Angia has always been committed to advancing her understanding and knowledge of God’s word. As part of this commitment, Angia earned her Doctor of Ministry (DMin) from South University’s online programs in 2023. 

“I chose this program of study to help me develop the necessary skills to serve my congregation effectively,” says Angia. “I wanted to be more exegetical in my writings and talking and to know how to deliver powerful sermons that will inspire people to come to Christ.”

A licensed and ordained minister, Angia puts her expanded skill set to use as she provides spiritual ministry, preaching, teaching, and general pastoral care. Her ongoing work includes directing church worship services, planning outreach initiatives, and offering members of the church and community spiritual counseling. Before coming to South University, Angia previously had earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in religion as well as a Master of Divinity degree. 

“South University has successfully prepared me to be more of an effective and exegetical leader and pastor. My education has been paramount in helping me grow as a leader and a pastor,” she says. “It has given me the confidence and knowledge to tackle each ministry's unique challenges. It has also equipped me with critical thinking and the analysis skills to enhance my preaching.”

In addition to her role in the ministry, Angia is a receptionist in the Department of Social Services. Throughout her career, Angia has helped her community through various professional and service-based activities. She has received honors that include the People's Choice Awards, Pee Dee and Low Country Achievement award, and the Women's Missionary Society Pastor of the Year award.

As for picking South University to earn a DMin degree, Angia is pleased with the choice she made. “I can honestly be a witness to what has been shared online and on-campus about this school. It does provide a warm and supportive learning environment that has encouraged me to be a better pastor,” she says. “Any problems or concerns I had, the instructors and mentors were there to assist. South University faculty and staff impacted me in ways that motivated and encouraged me not to give up and stay the course, and I did just that.”

Want to See Your Story Featured?
If you’re a South University graduate and want the chance to share your experiences and accomplishments, log in to our Alumni Site and click Share Your Story in the Alumni Success section.