Skip To Content
Kemuel Troche standing near a South University sign

2022 South University, Tampa graduate Kemuel Troche has always been drawn to the healthcare field and doing work that helps others improve their quality of life. 

His interest started as he grew up watching his great-grandmother benefit from home health therapy. “Seeing how much she had a great quality of life because of the wonderful care she received, I decided to pursue medicine as a career,” he explains. “After shadowing multiple physical therapists and working alongside them, I cemented my desire to help people as a physical therapist assistant.”

Kemuel decided to pursue his Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) degree at South University, Tampa after talking with a friend who shared her positive experiences as a program graduate. Once enrolled, Kemuel likewise found a supportive, positive environment for pursuing his goals. South University allowed him to build strong connections with his classmates, program director, professors, and other staff. 

“All of the faculty at South have been tremendous to me. When I needed encouragement and support, all of the professors in the program were there guiding me through,” he says. Kemuel also received support from South University team members who helped him figure out what study habits and tools worked best for his needs.

While going from where he lived and worked to class required a significant drive, it was worth it for Kemuel, who is the first member of his family to have earned a college degree. “When you love what you do and have the determination for it, you find that there is nothing that can stand in your way,” he says. 

During the program, Kemuel was employed as a rehabilitation coach in a hospital’s inpatient rehabilitation unit, working alongside physical therapists, occupational therapists, and nurses to help patients get better. Despite having this familiarity with the field, taking PTA classes at South University significantly expanded Kemuel’s skills and knowledge.

“South University prepared me with extensive knowledge of physical therapy and the clinical experience I need for my hands-on involvement. South also prepared me with the tools I need to take the NPTE exam to acquire my license*,” he says. “My education has opened doors to me by allowing me the flexibility to work at any setting available to match my degree.”

Want to See Your Story Featured?
If you’re a South University graduate and want the chance to share your experiences and accomplishments, log in to our Alumni Site and click Share Your Story in the Alumni Success section.

*It is up to each student to review the national and state licensure requirements for licensure, as well as the eligibility criteria to sit for licensure exams.  South University cannot guarantee each graduate will pass the required licensure examinations.  Outside agencies control the requirements for taking and passing certification/licensing exams and are subject to change without notice to South University.

Testimonials have been provided by students/alumni in their own words and without coercion.