Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Program
Throughout your classes, you can develop a strong foundation in computer programming, database technology, network technology, information systems security, and software engineering. With your elective courses, you can focus in on a specific area or obtain a more broad IT skill set. Either way, your coursework will combine thoughtful analysis and case studies with hands-on projects you can share with potential employers to showcase your skills and ability to excel in today’s technology-dependent workplace.
Transfer students may transfer any course to help fulfill the elective pool requirements, provided the course meets the standards of the Credit for Transcripted and Non-transcripted Work policy found in the Academic Affairs section of this catalog.
Non-transfer students, with their advisor's consultation and approval may choose courses from any department recommended and listed course or more broadly from any course offered by South University. Work from other fields must include any required prerequisite courses in the elective field.
A course can be used to meet only one requirement in Area I, Area II, or Area III, but not simultaneously in two areas. Students should work with their academic advisor or counselor to be sure they are making appropriate course choices.
South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Upon completing the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology program, you’ll be able to:
- Analyze information systems’ impact on businesses and organizations and demonstrate an ability to manage, create, and/or modify information systems.
- Communicate clearly your understanding of and solutions for common technology problems.
- Demonstrate discipline-specific knowledge including a thorough understanding of the terminology, applied usage, application to business problems, and deployment of technology resources.
- Display competence with database management technology, information systems security, multimedia web technology, networking technology, project management, software development, and systems analysis.
Graduates of our Bachelor of Science in Information Technology program typically pursue entry-level positions across the IT development lifecycle in planning, analysis, development, testing, deployment, service, program management, or technical support. These include:
- Technical sales support engineer, sales engineer
- Systems engineer, systems analyst, computer systems analyst
- Information security analyst, computer security analyst
- Software engineer, software developer, computer programmer
- Database developer, Web developer
- Software tester, quality assurance tester
- Computer network architect, network engineer
- Product support engineer, systems support engineer
- Customer support analyst, customer support IT specialist, computer user support specialist
- Computer systems administrator, database administrator, network administrator
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
Read more about online requirements here.
Learn More About the South University Program That's Right For You.
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our business and technology alumni and the difference they make.