RN to Master of Science in Nursing Informatics
At South University, the Online RN to Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) with a Specialization in Nursing Informatics degree program can put you on a path to becoming a leader in nursing informatics. The MSN with a specialization in Nursing Informatics online program equips you to select, design, implement, and maintain informatics solutions for all areas of nursing - including providing direct care, conducting research, establishing administrative systems, designing decision support tools, and managing and delivering educational experiences. Completing this MSN with a specialization in Nursing Informatics program can prepare you to sit for the American Association of College of Nursing certification* exam.
*South University does not guarantee third-party certification/licensure. Outside agencies control the requirements for taking and passing certification/licensing exams and are subject to change without notice to South University.
Procedure for Admission to the RN to Master of Science in Nursing** Degree Program
** South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
The criteria used in determining admission to the Master of Science in Nursing degree program include:
- Completion of the application for admission.
- An associate's degree in nursing from an accredited collegiate institution, or a diploma in nursing from an accredited institution, with a minimum cumulative CGPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Submission of official transcripts from every college or university attended within 10 weeks after the initial start date).
- A valid unencumbered single-state and/or a valid unencumbered Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact (eNLC) multistate license as a registered nurse in all U.S. states or territories in which the student is licensed, including the state in which the student completes all assignments for the program is required. (Note that military, federal, and foreign educated nurses must meet this state requirement for nursing licensure). An unencumbered license(s) must be maintained throughout the program.
- Meet the Core Performance Standards and essential function related to the profession of nursing as described in this catalog
- Submission of the following:
- Three references using the Nursing Graduate School Appraisal Form. At least one of your references should hold a master's in Nursing or higher degree in nursing.
- An essay (goal statement) of 1-2 pages (typed, double-spaced) explaining your career goals, reasons for your choice of specialization, and why you want to pursue an advanced degree in nursing.
- A resume describing relevant work, professional, and volunteer experiences.
- Once all required admissions documents and information are submitted, the application will be reviewed and evaluated for admission decision.
Provisional admission status is not available for the RN to Master of Science in Nursing degree program. Students not meeting admission requirements for the RN to Master of Science in Nursing program may be considered for the RN to BSN degree program and apply to the MSN degree program when the admission requirements for the MSN degree program are met.
RN to Master of Science in Nursing
Specialization in Nursing Informatics: 28 Credits for Specialization, 219 Total Credits for Program
Upon completing this nursing informatics degree online, you should be able to:
- Evaluate information requirements for nursing practice.
- Use database management principles to collect and analyze comprehensive data, information, and knowledge pertinent to nursing practice.
- Use project management principles to develop and implement plans with strategies, alternatives, and recommendations to attain expected nursing informatics outcomes.
- Integrate current theories of technology implementation to influence identified plans, enhance the abilities of other professionals, and effect change in nursing practice.
- Analyze computer and information technologies for their application to nursing practice.
- Collaborate with professionals in related disciplines to develop informatics solutions to nursing problems.
- Develop strategies for introducing, modifying, and evaluating information systems for nursing practice.
Career OutlookAs a Nurse Informaticist, you may use these competencies in traditional healthcare organizations as well as for medical device vendors, software companies, disease management companies, and government agencies.
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
Read more about online requirements here.
Learn More About the South University Program That's Right For You.
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our nursing alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our graduates have to say.