Master of Public Administration
Beyond exploring the structure of political, social, and institutional systems, your online MPA courses will cover topics like data analysis, budgeting, ethical decision-making, fundraising, HR and volunteer management, and leadership—all within the context of helping public and nonprofit organizations to maximize their impact and achieve their goals.
Admissions Criteria for the Master of Public Administration (MPA) are as follows:
Prospective students are required to submit the following:
- Application form
- Official transcripts for bachelor or graduate degree granting institution. (All credentials earned outside the United States must be evaluated by a NACES or AICE-member credential evaluation service). Please speak with an admissions representative for more information.
Specific requirements for admission to classified graduate status are:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Completion of application for admission.
- A 2.7 overall grade point average or higher on completed requirements for the baccalaureate degree, or, an earned graduate degree from an accredited institution with a CGPA of 3.0 or higher.
Applicants with an undergraduate degree CGPA of less than a 2.7, but not lower than a 2.3, or a graduate degree CGPA of less than 3.0, but not lower than a 2.7, will be considered for provisional admission. Students who do not attain a 3.0 GPA in the first quarter will be dismissed. Students cannot appeal the dismissal from the university as a result of failure to meet the conditions of provisional admission.
South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Offered at South University, Columbia; South University, Montgomery; South University, Online Programs; South University, Savannah and South University, Virginia Beach.
The Master of Public Administration degree program at South University is designed to address the needs of students for applied coursework in areas of critical importance to local, state, and national governmental and non-profit organizations. The program covers a broad range of governmental and nonprofit topics to help develop each student's knowledge, skills, and abilities. This degree program integrates knowledge from other areas to provide a combination of general and specialized information in a multi-disciplinary approach.
The Master of Public Administration program is delivered in two modalities: fully online and blended. Students enrolled in the blended modality meet face-to-face in the classroom and asynchronously online on alternating weeks over the 11-week quarter.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates will be able to:
- Apply a broad conceptual framework to public administration issues, which will include economic, political, legal and social institutions and processes that affect the actions and decision of political leaders and public managers.
- Communicate clearly, orally and in writing, their understanding of the challenges of government agencies and many public sector problems/issues and the multiple paths for solutions.
- Demonstrate effective teamwork and communication skills in order to build strategic alliances within political and administrative structures.
- Apply quantitative analysis and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate attainment of discipline-specific knowledge and the practical skills to be effective in the field.
As a graduate of the Master of Public Administration online program, you’ll be prepared to seek career opportunities within municipalities, states, provinces, federal government, government agencies, non-profit organizations, and non-governmental organizations. Related jobs include:
- General and Operations Managers
- Transportation Managers
- Logistics Managers
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Compliance Managers
- Supply Chain Managers
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
Read more about online requirements here.
Latest News and Blogs
Jun 16, 2021
Join South University in Celebrating the Class of 2021
This Saturday, June 19, at 12:00 PM ET, South University celebrates the Class of 2021 and Class of 2020 with a live virtual graduation event! Join us as we celebrate this milestone in our graduates’ lives.
May 28, 2021
10 Tips to Help You Transition from the Military to College
South University is proud to support veterans in their pursuit of higher education! Follow these helpful tips to ease your the transition from military service to college today.
Mar 03, 2021
5 Tips for Improving Your Productivity When Working from Home
Still struggling to find your WFH groove? Read these tips to improve your productivity when working from home, whether you’re taking an online class or working remotely!
Feb 19, 2021
South University, Tampa Nurses Help Administer the COVID-19 Vaccine Locally
South University is proud to support local Tampa Bay residents by working with Advent Health to help administer the COVID-19 vaccine locally through help from our staff and nursing students to 700 pre-registered Florida residents.
Fill out the form and a representative will contact you today to better understand your academic goals plus answer any questions you may have.
Campuses offer flexible learning formats including:
on-campus, virtual instructions and online courses.
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our nursing alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our graduates have to say.