Master of Public Administration
Beyond exploring the structure of political, social, and institutional systems, your online MPA courses will cover topics like data analysis, budgeting, ethical decision-making, fundraising, HR and volunteer management, and leadership—all within the context of helping public and nonprofit organizations to maximize their impact and achieve their goals.
Admissions Criteria for the Master of Public Administration (MPA) are as follows:
Prospective students are required to submit the following:
- Application form
- Official transcripts for bachelor or graduate degree granting institution. (All credentials earned outside the United States must be evaluated by a NACES or AICE-member credential evaluation service). Please speak with an admissions representative for more information.
Specific requirements for admission to classified graduate status are:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Completion of application for admission.
- A 2.7 overall grade point average or higher on completed requirements for the baccalaureate degree, or, an earned graduate degree from an accredited institution with a CGPA of 3.0 or higher.
Applicants with an undergraduate degree CGPA of less than a 2.7, but not lower than a 2.3, or a graduate degree CGPA of less than 3.0, but not lower than a 2.7, will be considered for provisional admission. Students who do not attain a 3.0 GPA in the first quarter will be dismissed. Students cannot appeal the dismissal from the university as a result of failure to meet the conditions of provisional admission.
South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Upon completion of the Master of Public Administration program, students should be able to:
- Apply a broad conceptual framework to public administration issues, which will include economic, political, legal and social institutions and processes that affect the actions and decision of political leaders and public managers.
- Communicate clearly, orally and in writing, their understanding of the challenges of government agencies and many public sector problems/issues and the multiple paths for solutions.
- Demonstrate effective teamwork and communication skills in order to build strategic alliances within political and administrative structures.
- Apply quantitative analysis and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate attainment of discipline-specific knowledge and the practical skills to be effective in the field.
As a graduate of the Master of Public Administration online program, you’ll be prepared to seek career opportunities within municipalities, states, provinces, federal government, government agencies, non-profit organizations, and non-governmental organizations. Related jobs include:
- General and Operations Managers
- Transportation Managers
- Logistics Managers
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Compliance Managers
- Supply Chain Managers
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
Read more about online requirements here.
5 Tips for Improving Your Productivity When Working from Home
Still struggling to find your WFH groove? Read these tips to improve your productivity when working from home, whether you’re taking an online class or working remotely!
March 3, 2021Read More
Nurses: How to Improve Communication Skills to Benefit Your Patients & Your Career
Communication is key to the nursing profession. From working with patients, patients’ families, and interprofessional colleagues, nurses must be able to communicate effectively.
February 17, 2021Read More
PTA vs OTA: Understanding the Differences & Similarities
Interested in pursuing a career in PTA or OTA? Begin your journey by learning some key differences between Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy practices.
February 10, 2021Read More
South University, Tampa Nurses Help Administer the COVID-19 Vaccine Locally
South University is proud to support local Tampa Bay residents by working with Advent Health to help administer the COVID-19 vaccine locally through help from our staff and nursing students to 700 pre-registered Florida residents.
February 19, 2021Read More
South University Austin's Nurses Help Administer the COVID-19 Vaccine to Local Residents
South University is proud to serve the Austin-Round Rock (or Central Texas) area with our staff and nursing students helping to support the administration of the first 3,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines locally.
January 21, 2021Read More
Chancellor Steven K. Yoho - Named One of the 10 Most Visionary Education Leaders of 2020 by The Education Magazine
South University’s Chancellor Dr. Steven K. Yoho has been named among the 10 Most Visionary Educational Leaders of 2020 by The Education Magazine.
January 12, 2021Read More
Fill out the form and a representative will contact you today to better understand your academic goals plus answer any questions you may have.
Campuses offer flexible learning formats including:
on-campus, virtual instructions and online courses.
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our nursing alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our graduates have to say.