Master of Public Health
Master of Public Health
Procedure for Admission to the Master of Public Health
The criteria used in determining admissions to the Master of Public Health degree program include"
- Completion of a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 2.7 (on a scale of 4.0) OR
- Completion of a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, with minimum GRE Scores (GRE scores may not be older than 5 years) in the 45th percentile for Verbal and 32nd percentile for Quantitative, OR
- An earned graduate degree from an accredited institution with a CGPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Completion of a statistics course with a grade of C or better
- Submission of official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended within 10 weeks after the official start date.
- A minimum paper-based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language score of 600 or the electronic-based score of 250 for whom English is a Second Language (ESL) to be considered for the program.
Submission of the following:
- An essay (goal statement) of 1-2 pages (typed, double-spaced) explaining your career goals and why you want to pursue an advanced degree in public health.
- A resume 'describing relevant work, professional, and volunteer experiences.
Once all required admissions documents and information are submitted, the application will be reviewed and evaluated by the MPH Program Director for final admission decision.
Required Program Foundation Courses
The following undergraduate course must be completed with a grade of C or better at an accredited college or university and prior to enrollment into the Master of Public Health. Students accepted into the program without having completed this course must do so within two sessions of their acceptance data.
- Statistics (1 course)
Foundation undergraduate course credits do not count towards the total number of credits for graduation nor do they count in the Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA); however, they do count in determining the Maximum Time Frame (MTF) and the Incremental Completion Rate (ICR). Students enrolled in foundation undergraduate courses must successfully complete the course within their first three attempts or the student will be academically dismissed from the University.
South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Designed to be completed in as little as two years, South University’s MPH online program should prepare you to:
- Utilize public health concepts in biostatistics, epidemiology, social and behavioral sciences, health services administration, and environmental health.
- Identify and assess the public health of populations, including assets and deficiencies.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate public health programs and services.
- Employ an “ecological approach” to public health, with emphasis on the links and relationships among the multiple determinants of health, to assure conditions that promote the health of populations.
- Identify and analyze health disparities and design appropriate, culturally competent prevention and intervention strategies.
- Apply theory and knowledge in the field across key competency areas for public health professionals, including analytical assessment, policy development/program planning, financial planning and management, leadership and systems thinking, and more.
- Demonstrate skills in public health research and communication.
- Apply critical thinking skills to public health policy, practice, and research.
As a graduate of the MPH online degree program, you’ll be ready to pursue a variety of public health positions, including:
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Health Educators
- Community Health Workers
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
Read more about online requirements here.
Learn More About the South University Program That's Right For You.
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our nursing alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our graduates have to say.