Bachelor of Science in Public Health
Prepare for a Fulfilling Career in Public Health
(must be taken concurrently with BIO1012 Anatomy and Physiology I Lab)
(must be taken concurrently with BIO1014 Anatomy and Physiology II Lab)
(must be taken concurrently with BIO2071 Microbiology Lab or BIO2073 Microbiology Laboratory; BIO2073 is required for BSN students; RN to BSN students can take either)
Transfer students may transfer any course to help fulfill the elective pool requirements, provided the course meets the standards of the Credit for Transcripted and Non-transcripted Work policy found in the Academic Affairs section of this catalog.
Non-transfer students, with their advisor's consultation and approval may choose courses from any department recommended and listed course or more broadly from any course offered by South University. Work from other fields must include any required prerequisite courses in the elective field.
A course can be used to meet only one requirement in Area I, Area II, or Area III, but not simultaneously in two areas. Students should work with their academic advisor or counselor to be sure they are making appropriate course choices.
South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Admission RequirementsPlease see the South University academic catalog for program specific admissions requirements.
Our programs contain curriculum that is developed with the input of working professionals and seasoned educators. This approach allows us to provide our students with course offerings that create a practical and valuable educational experience.
- Explain and apply the basic concepts of public health including an historical perspective to the practice of public health at the local, national and global level.
- Recognize the biological and chemical basis of human health and disease and utilize that knowledge as a foundation for promoting health and wellness across the lifespan.
- Relate the interconnectedness among physical, social, biological and environmental factors to their impact on the health of individuals and communities and reasons for health disparities.
- Evaluate the collection methods, source and quality of health information and data as it relates to individual and community health and the evidence based practice of public health at the local, national and global levels.
- Compare and contrast various governmental and non-governmental healthcare agencies, organizations and systems in the United States and around the world and their role in individual and public health.
- Describe how legislation, ethics and economics impact public health policy and the effects on both individual and population health.
- Discuss the role of public health professionals in the health of populations by identifying the needs of a community and the development and evaluation of health education programs.
- Identify and assess methods and communication strategies including social media and electronic technology for health education and promotion campaigns and develop plans for communicating public health specific information to a diverse population.
- Apply the skills required to assess public health needs of a community or population at the local and global levels and plan, implement, and evaluate programs to meet those needs.
Career OutlookAfter earning your bachelor’s in Public Health online, you’ll be ready to impact and contribute to the delivery of essential public health services in government, community-based, and private sector health agencies. This program can also prepare you to continue your education and pursue graduate studies in public health and the health sciences.
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
Read more about online requirements here.
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our nursing alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our graduates have to say.