Online Nursing Informatics
Online Nursing Informatics Post Graduate Certificate
Offered at Online Programs.
Note: Not all Online Program offerings are available to residents of all U.S. states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
The 21st century nurse informaticist will transform care of patients and communities by optimizing information management and communication. These activities include the design and use of informatics solutions and technology to support all areas of nursing practice, including the direct provision of care, establishing effective administrative systems, designing useful decision support systems, managing and delivering educational experiences, enhancing lifelong learning, and supporting nursing research. The Master of Science in Nursing program with a specialization in Nursing Informatics at South University is designed to prepare the next generation of nursing leaders to develop the knowledge, skills, and abilities to develop and implement information management systems in a variety of settings including home health and hospice agencies, nursing homes, public and community health agencies, physician offices, ambulatory care centers, medical device vendors, large and small software companies, web content providers, disease management companies, and government agencies. Students will complete 240 practicum hours during progression through the program.
Program curriculum for the MSN with a specialization in Nursing Informatics includes key attributes from the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Essentials of Masters Education for Advanced Practice Nursing (2011), the Alliance for Nursing Informatics (2010), and the ANA Scope and Standards of Practice (2008). Students completing this program will be eligible to sit for the AACC certification examination.
Graduates should be able to:
- Synthesize theories and concepts from nursing and other disciplines for application in advanced nursing roles.
- Analyze current scientific research for application of findings to initiate change and to improve practice.
- Create comprehensive plans of action that address the health promotion and disease prevention needs of individual, family, and community populations.
- Formulate a plan for ongoing contributions to improvement of healthcare delivery and development of health policy in a cost-effective manner.
- Apply an ethical decision-making process in professional practice and an analysis of systems of healthcare.
- Model a professional leadership role that fosters improvement of healthcare and advocates scholarly activities to advance self and profession.
- Employ informatics and technology in various aspects of the advanced nursing leadership role.
- Practice within ethical-legal guidelines, professional policies and regulations, and standards of practice associated with a specialty area of advanced nursing practice.
Specialized Program Student Learning Outcomes:
Graduates should be able to:
- Evaluate information requirements for nursing practice.
- Use principles of database management to collect and analyze the comprehensive data, information, and knowledge pertinent to a situation in nursing practice.
- Use principles of project management to develop and implement a plan that prescribes strategies, alternatives, and recommendations to attain expected nursing informatics outcomes.
- Integrate current theories of technology implementation to influence the identified plan, enhance the abilities of other professionals, and effect change in nursing practice.
- Analyze computer and information technologies for their application to nursing practice.
- Collaborate with professionals in other informatics-related disciplines to develop informatics solutions to nursing problems.
- Develop strategies for introducing, modifying, and evaluating information systems for nursing practice.
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
Read more about online requirements here.
Latest News and Blogs
Jul 16, 2021
Alumni Achievement Award- Emily Davis (DNP, RN, CNE)
“South University changed the trajectory of my future,” says 2018 graduate Dr. Emily Davis (DNP, RN, CNE).
Jun 16, 2021
Join South University in Celebrating the Class of 2021
This Saturday, June 19, at 12:00 PM ET, South University celebrates the Class of 2021 and Class of 2020 with a live virtual graduation event! Join us as we celebrate this milestone in our graduates’ lives.
Fill out the form and a representative will contact you today to better understand your academic goals plus answer any questions you may have.
Campuses offer flexible learning formats including:
on-campus, virtual instructions and online courses.
Success! Your request was submitted. We'll be in touch soon!
In the meantime, you can view some of our FAQs
If you want to talk to an admissions representative ASAP, please contact us at 1-888-444-3404
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our nursing alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our graduates have to say.
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing, the Master of Science in Nursing, and Doctor of Nursing Practice Programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).