Doctor of Nursing Practice
Built for working advanced practice nurses, our online Doctor of Nursing Practice program’s curriculum can be completed in as little as 2 years. The DNP online program combines online coursework with field experiences in which you work with a qualified mentor to lead change in a local clinical organization. As an online DNP student, you can specialize in Administration, Information Technology or Leadership. You’ll also develop and present a scholarly capstone project exploring a clinical question of your choice. As a whole, this curriculum prepares you for collaborating in the development of future healthcare systems and influencing the next generation of nursing professionals.
Program credits are determined based on evaluation of MSN program of study and clinical/practicum hour attainment.
*Students are required to complete 2 program elective courses (8 credits). Students may also elect to complete 4 courses (16 credits) across the different program elective areas to earn a General specialization or to complete 4 courses within a single program elective area to earn an Administration, Information Technology, Leadership, Project Management, or Public Health specialization. In all cases, students should work closely with their Academic Counselor and Faculty Mentor to select appropriate coursework that meets their career needs and course prerequisites.
**Students entering the DNP program with 500 or more hours of documented, post-baccalaureate clinical experience must take the DNP Clinical Field Experience coursework at 6 credits each. Students entering the DNP program with less than 500 hours of documented, post-baccalaureate clinical experience must take NSG 7220 prior to their enrollment in NSG7200 to reach the minimum 500 hours of documented, post-baccalaureate clinical experience. NSG7220 may be repeated up to three times. In all cases, students should work closely with their Academic Counselor and Faculty Mentor to schedule the appropriate clinical and field experience coursework needed to reach the total minimum required 1,000 documented hours of, post-baccalaureate clinical experience- required upon completion of the DNP program.
**South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
The online DNP program should prepare you to:
- Provide the highest level of nursing practice through integration of advanced competencies in leadership, ethics and the practice sciences, including biophysical, psychosocial, analytical, organizational, and public health sciences.
- Demonstrate organizational and care systems leadership for quality and safety.
- Use contemporary healthcare science to address and resolve complex healthcare problems and disparities.
- Evaluate scientific findings for clinical applicability and potential to affect transformative care.
- Integrate information technology and informatics to provide scalable solutions for real-world systems problems.
- Use strategies of risk reduction/illness prevention, health promotion, and health maintenance to improve the care of individuals, families, and populations.
- Partner in creating healthcare policy to shape financing, regulation, access, and delivery of health services.
Haven’t experienced online learning before or wondering what it’s like to earn your degree online at South University? While the mode of learning is different from the traditional classroom experience with added convenience and flexibility, we hold the same high standards of academic excellence in the online classroom.
South University’s online programs combine a curriculum designed for student outcomes and a classroom designed for flexibility and engagement. Our online classroom learning platform, Brightspace, provides you with a host of features to enhance your learning experience, including:
- Advanced media content
- Personalized navigation
- Simplified online learning atmosphere
- Access to digital books
- Emailing and instant messaging options
We provide more than just an online classroom, bringing a range of campus experiences and services online. In addition, the online classroom is accessible on the go via mobile devices and with tools like the Pulse App. Pulse helps you stay connected and on track with your course by providing a number of features such as course calendars, readings and assignments, feedback and grades, and announcements.
Read more about online requirements here.
Learn More About the South University Program That's Right For You.
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our nursing alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our graduates have to say.