Family Nurse Practitioner PGC
Family Nurse Practitioner Post Graduate Certificate
Providing direct advanced practice nursing services to patients across the lifespan takes specialized knowledge and highly tuned decision-making skills. At South University, the Family Nurse Practitioner Post Graduate Certificate program can prepare you with the expertise you need to provide care for individuals and families in your community.
This post graduate certificate program is designed for nurses who already hold a master’s degree that prepared them to practice in another advanced nursing role. The online Family Nurse Practitioner program’s curriculum can be completed in as little as 16 months.
*If the student receives a failing grade in NSG6021, the student must enroll in and successfully pass the following four (4)-credit course: NSG6023 Nurse Practitioner Enhancement.
South University, Online Program offerings may not be available to residents of all states. Please contact an admissions representative for further information.
Offered at South University, Columbia; South University, Online Programs; South University, Richmond; South University, Savannah; South University, Tampa; and South University, Virginia Beach.
The Post Graduate Certificate in Family Nurse Practitioner is a 42-credit hour program designed for individuals who hold a master's degree in nursing that has prepared them for practice in another advanced role or in an advanced nursing specialty. The certificate program provides students the knowledge and decision making skills to provide direct advanced practice nursing health care services to individuals across the life span.
Post-master's students must successfully complete graduate didactic and clinical requirements of the master's specialization and are expected to master the same outcome competencies as master's students pursuing an MSN with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner, including the master's core competencies and the specialization competencies.
Courses may be waived if the individual's master's transcript indicates that s/he has successfully completed the required course or its equivalent. Waivers and exceptions will be determined for individual students through a gap analysis as determined by the Program Director or College Dean.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates should be able to:
- Synthesize theories and concepts from nursing and other disciplines for application in advanced nursing roles.
- Analyze current scientific research for application of findings to initiate change and to improve practice.
- Create comprehensive plans of action that address the health promotion and disease prevention needs of individual, family, and community populations.
- Formulate a plan for ongoing contributions to improvement of healthcare delivery and development of health policy in a cost-effective manner.
- Apply an ethical decision-making process in professional practice and an analysis of systems of healthcare.
- Model a professional leadership role that fosters improvement of healthcare and advocates scholarly activities to advance self and profession.
- Employ informatics and technology in various aspects of the advanced nursing leadership role.
- Practice within ethical-legal guidelines, professional policies and regulations, and standards of practice associated with a specialty area of advanced nursing practice.
Specialized Program Student Learning Outcomes:
- Integrate specialty standards of advanced practice nursing to deliver culturally competent, quality health care services to individuals, families, populations and systems.
- Exercise effective leadership, critical thinking and communication skills in the development and implementation of advanced nursing practice services in Primary Care.
- Integrate professional nursing standards, values and accountability into role and self-development as an advanced practice nurse.
- Utilize information technology and an evidence-based research approach development of nursing knowledge and design of health care services for clients, populations and systems.
- Ensure advanced levels of clinical judgment, systems thinking, and accountability in the implementation and evaluation of evidenced based care to diverse individuals and populations.
Join South University in Celebrating the Class of 2021
This Saturday, June 19, at 12:00 PM ET, South University celebrates the Class of 2021 and Class of 2020 with a live virtual graduation event! Join us as we celebrate this milestone in our graduates’ lives.
June 16, 2021Read More
10 Tips to Help You Transition from the Military to College
South University is proud to support veterans in their pursuit of higher education! Follow these helpful tips to ease your the transition from military service to college today.
May 28, 2021Read More
Virginia Beach Students Gain Experience in the Field While Serving their Community
At each of our campus locations, South University is proud to give back to our local communities! Discover how South University, Virginia Beach students serve their community by partnering with Promethean Group.
May 12, 2021Read More
South University Welcomes Dr. Jacoba “Kobie” Leiper to the High Point Off-Campus Instructional Site
South University would like to welcome Dr. Jacoba “Kobie” Leiper to the High Point Off-Campus Instructional Site as Program Director of the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
February 25, 2021Read More
South University, Tampa Nurses Help Administer the COVID-19 Vaccine Locally
South University is proud to support local Tampa Bay residents by working with Advent Health to help administer the COVID-19 vaccine locally through help from our staff and nursing students to 700 pre-registered Florida residents.
February 19, 2021Read More
South University Austin's Nurses Help Administer the COVID-19 Vaccine to Local Residents
South University is proud to serve the Austin-Round Rock (or Central Texas) area with our staff and nursing students helping to support the administration of the first 3,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines locally.
January 21, 2021Read More
Fill out the form and a representative will contact you today to better understand your academic goals plus answer any questions you may have.
Campuses offer flexible learning formats including:
on-campus, virtual instructions and online courses.
Outstanding Education for Remarkable Careers
We're committed to helping our graduates make impact in their professional and personal lives. We applaud our nursing alumni and the difference they make. Check out what some of our nursing graduates have to say.
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing, the Master of Science in Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice, and Post-Graduate APRN Certificate Programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).